[T3] CV

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Aug 1 08:31:28 PDT 2011

On 31 Jul 2011 at 22:56, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> So, anyway, that's the reason I was under the car today.  But in the process
> of bleeding the brakes, I discovered what I am pretty sure is a tear in my
> RR CV boot - the one closest to the wheel.  I have been under the car alot
> this year and this is the first time I've seen it.  Grease has splattered
> all over the rear axle.  So I've lost some lubrication for sure.
>
> My question is, at this point, what do I do?  Do I need a new CV joint?  Can
> I just replace the boot?  When do you know if you've lost too much
> lubrication and must replace the part?

You should remove the half shaft with both CV joints, clean out the
joint, replace the torn boot, replace the grease, and put it back
together. It's a dirty but instructive job, and you should inspect
the CV joint while it's apart, but it probably doesn't need to be
replaced.

The main thing to remember is that you'll need a special driver for
the CV joint bolts, an 8 mm metric spline driver, which is different
from a Torx. When you use it, clean out the recess in the bolt head
before you start, and tap the driver in all the way before you try to
turn the bolt. Those holes fill up with dirt and will strip if you
don't get the driver in all the way.

I use a small screwdriver to clean out the holes, then tap the driver
in, then use the screwdriver again to clean out more dirt which the
driver loosened up. There are probably faster ways if you have
compressed air, but you'll still have to use some sort of small tool
to push in there to break up the accumulated dirt/grime.

When you inspect the CV joint, just look for signs where the balls
have worn flakes of metal off the surface of the inner or outer
races. Smooth shiny places where wear has accumulated are pretty
normal, but flaked chunks coming off are probably a sign that
replacement is prudent.

If you need a replacement, your CV joints are the same ones as used
on Beetles. They should be available almost anywhere, as should the
kits which contain a boot and enough grease for 1 joint.

If you need more grease, it may be hard to buy small quantities. You
need a moly grease, which will be green/black. Maybe your FLAPS will
have something.

BTW, when I reassemble these, I do NOT use clamps on the small end of
the CV joint. I know the manuals say you should install them on
everything up to '72, but I find that it works well to leave them off
all the years.

If you want, I have good used CV joints and grease here.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org