[T3] CV

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Aug 1 10:19:11 PDT 2011

On 1 Aug 2011 at 9:41, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> I've not ever laid eyes on a CV joint that wasn't installed so I can't
> picture exactly what it's going to be like.  Reading the Bentley is somewhat
> helpful, but I wanted to clarify, I will not need to press the drive shaft
> out in order to do the inspection and lubrication....correct?  This will all
> happen with the drive shaft still inserted in the CV joint?

You have to remove the drive shaft in order to disassemble the CV
joint. You can do this with a hammer, some blocks of wood, and some
creativity. Remember to remove the circlip before you do this.

> Also, I see that the Bentley makes mention of leaving the lock washers off
> when re-installing the screws for the caps.  They say to check for
> protruding screws after torquing them and if they stick out, obtain some of
> the new shorter screws.  What are the chances I will have problems with the
> screws that I have?  I'd like to have all the parts in place before I start
> the job.  If people have never experienced an issue in this regard, I'd feel
> more confident about reusing the parts I have.

Just put the lock washers back on if the bolts came with them. That
works fine. Note that you MUST torque these bolts when you're
reinstalling them. That can be hard with just one person. It's
helpful to have a second person to apply the brakes after you rotate
each bolt into a convenient position.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org