[T3] bleeding brakes question

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Aug 1 18:12:33 PDT 2011

In a message dated 8/1/2011 1:19:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

>  This worked for me last night but it was hard to know when I was
completely
> done.  I waited and waited on the rears and felt like  I had seen no
bubbles
> for a while and reached up to close the bleed  screw and then a whole
bunch
> of air came out again.  So I waited  for that to finish and then closed
it.

> Would you say maybe  3-4 minutes is long enough ?  Just wondering if you
had
> a tip on  how long to wait, Jim :)

For gravity bleeding, I usually open one valve  at a time, starting
with the rears. The LR first, takes the longest  because you're
waiting for fluid to come the farthest. That might take 10  minutes.

When I gravity bleed the brakes, I make sure I have several cold ones
around, as it'll take a little while for gravity to do it's job. I spend part of
 this time cleaning up the mess I made, and downing a couple of the cold
ones  while I wait. This is actually 1 job that I don't get into a hurry for
(it's a  safety thing). I still usually do a 2 person bleed afterward though,
just to  made sure everything is kosher. ;^)

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)