[T3] CV

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Aug 1 19:30:55 PDT 2011

On 1 Aug 2011 at 12:10, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> The Bentley says pack 2/3 of the grease between the boot, cap and joint.
>  The other 1/3 goes in the open front of the joint.
>
>    - Am I going to disassemble the joint to inspect it like on page 13 of
>    the Bentley, fig 3-21 ?

I would, because that's the only way to inspect the races for
pitting.

>    - Am I going to clean it really well with solvent or just get the old
>    grease out as best as I can and put new grease in?

Solvent isn't necessary, but it may be convenient. I start with old
newspaper, which I can throw away, then move on to rags. It's a messy
job, and your fingers will show it for a week!

>    - How do you put the grease in the joint?  I have only packed a front
>    wheel bearing before.  Is it similar?

It's similar. Just put a gob of grease in your palm and press it into
one side of the CV joint. I'd do this only after you have the boot
and joint all assembled back onto the half shaft.

>    - When they say 2/3 goes between the boot/cap/joint, does that mean just

I would fill the cavity in the flange the CV joint bolts to, fill the
CV joint, and put any remaining grease on the half shaft side of the
CV joint. In operation, the CV joint will push out excess grease into
the boot space to give itself working clearance, so you should never
try to fill the boot.

> I'm wondering if I should have just bought a 2nd boot and done the other one
> while the axle is out.  I only got one.  Hmmm....

They don't die from age. They die from abuse. Inspect it, but if it's
still good, it's still good. When you get the shaft with joints off
the car, tape a plastic bag over the other end to keep it clean. You
don't want to contaminate that one unless you plan to clean it and
regrease it at the same time, which may not be a bad idea. I usually
do both (or all 4) at the same time.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org