[T3] CV

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Aug 1 17:48:03 PDT 2011

The outer boot is usually the one that suffers more.  The inner one works in
better conditions - not as hot as near the brakes.  I don't think I've
replaced a CV boot on my aircooled cars, though I've done them on
watercooled FWD VWs quite a few times, but they get a severe work-out on the
steering end of things.

The grease comes in a tube - just squeeze it in.  There may be a nozzle on
the pack of grease, or you might just cut the corner off it.  That makes it
easy to get the grease between the balls.  The 2/3 is spare to continue the
lubricating as time goes on.

Do a reasonable job as your boot had split and might just have got some
contamination inside, though I doubt it.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club