[T3] bleeding brakes question

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Aug 1 20:36:35 PDT 2011

On 1 Aug 2011 at 21:39, crash 69 wrote:

> I like the simplicity of this strategy.
>
> Recently, I had to replace a short piece of brake hose between the reservoir
> and the hard line that feeds into the MC.  So, I had to drain the reservoir.
>
> Will I need to bleed the whole system?

No, not if the only thing that got air into it was that feed line.
You probably noticed the gurgling sound when you refilled the
reservoir. That was the sound of the air bubbling up from there. The
late feed lines are large enough and vertical enough that they will
just gravity fill. As long as you didn't pump the pedal and suck air
into the MC, you are good to go.

The fact that your pedal feels good is your confirmation of this.

Up to early '67 the feed lines were smaller and less vertical. I
don't know if those lines will self fill or not.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org