[T3] Brake Calipers

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Aug 9 02:42:13 PDT 2011

The bleeder cap is to keep wet and dirt out of the hollow bleeder screw.
You should get one if you ever find one is missing, but a piece of tape is
fine to seal it until you can get one.  Water in there might rust the bottom
of the screw and make it impossible to unscrew without breakage or more
often seal up the bleed hole so it doesn't work.

While engine work going wrong will just be an inconvenience and bodywork
will just look bad, brake work being done wrong can kill you and others you
may hit.  Do make sure you really understand how to do a job, and read all
the manuals you can find to make sure you don't make mistakes like kinking
hoses.  Obviously you won't make that one again.

The lock tabs should be bent up to stop the bolts backing out, though it's
probably unlikely if they are torqued correctly.  "Belt and braces" they
call that.

New brake shoes will take a bit of adjustment when they wear in.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club