[T3] electronic ignition question

Jeremy Menzies skellzangelz at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 9 11:16:58 PDT 2011

I think there are strong arguments for both sides of the debate and personally, I like the simplicity of the breaker points (I haven't experienced electronic though).  I was talking to a air cooled VW/Porsche guy the other day about the electronic ignition and he recommended putting one in, saying that good units are reliable and it's a simple, generally inexpensive upgrade for a solid, strong spark.  He had a bus I helped him put the engine in with a Pertronix (not to promo, just to pass on an example) unit on it and said it had been very reliable for the year plus it's been in there.  Plus, you're not supposed to have to reset timing as much and the timing won't drift as the points wear (from what I understand) and I've read that the spark is stronger, especially with the hotter coil.  I know there's an argument for not going electronic and hotter, though.
On the failure point: that's where I'd be most concerned, one minute on, the next nothing, with no warning.  To remedy this for the bus owner, the guy had a second distributor with the points and condenser all installed and set plus a mark on the dist. and case for ballpark timing.  If the elect. failed, all he has to do is set to #1 TDC (or whatever is applicable for the bus), pull the whole dead dist. out, pop in the classic set up, rotate to the timing marks and you're in range enough to at least get home!  Not everyone has an extra good dist. lying around, especially with the injection trigger contacts that the T3 needs.  I thought that was a great idea though and that would certainly be faster than any other way.
My $.02,
Jeremy