[T3] electronic ignition question

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Aug 9 16:06:31 PDT 2011

On 9 Aug 2011 at 6:45, Alex Satala wrote:

> Is an electronic ignition that replaces the points better than the classic setup?
> As you all know from my previous posts i am frustrated by the engine turning off and no power and
> i thought the electronic ignition , new ign coil and cables will make the difference.
> Another question i have is if i can combine the el ignition (a hall sensor solid state relay i suppose) with
> those electronic boards that drive the ignition coil at high frequency.
>
> p.s. as i was writing i understood (i think) the distributor system and i think i can make the hall relay myself
> without spending around 80$. i will use cellphone hall sensors ( i hope they are fast switching).

In my opinion, don't do it. The stock system works really well, but
there's something wrong with yours. Until you figure out what the
problem is and fix it, you'll just be stacking a new system of
unknown reliability on top of a system that already has a problem. If
the new system has problems, where will you look?

If you fix the stock system and then decide to move on to something
you build, that sounds like a great idea, but you really don't want
to build your new system on a foundation of sand. I understand that
you're thinking that a new system will remove the old problem, but
that's not assured, since you so far have no idea where the old
problem is.

Fix the old first. Then move on. And when you move on, make sure you
can back up if things don't work out as well as you hoped.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org