[T3] rear axle nut

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 17:36:08 PDT 2011

Usually they go back on at the same torque as is correct, and the hole lines
up nicely.  ISTR there are two holes, at right angles to each other.  I once
got worried when I couldn't make it to the next hole at the correct torque,
and realised the other was lined up!

I use a 36mm socket with a 3/4" drive and a 4-foot steel tube for leverage.
I stand on the bathroom scales on the side that will make me weigh less (to
be kinder to the scales!) and push on the end of the bar until I'm 54 lbs
lighter (54lbs x 4feet = 216 ft lbs).  I do take a look as it gets near so I
can avoid over-tightening the nut.

What's the point in overtightening?  Best to do it right!

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club