[T3] Alive but not Perfect (was RE: Trickle Charger)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Aug 12 07:06:08 PDT 2011

On 11 Aug 2011 at 21:37, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> In sort, to start, pressure has to be up, then couple pumps of the
> throttle, open the throttle all the way, engage starter, and as comes
> to life, feather the throttle.  Oh, and on first start up, smelled
> real bad, then was faint, but still smells.  I am thinking bad
> gasoline, idle speed and T.P.S. in that order.  What do you all think
> I need to check?

Your experience is pretty typical. It wouldn't hurt to top up the
tank, but the gas in there is decent. Idle will fix itself once
everything in there frees itself up. Forget about the TPS; it doesn't
have anything to do with any of this. In general, you only have to
adjust a TPS once - when you install it.

I would check the plumbing for gas leaks when the engine is running.
Look under both ends of the car and all around the top side of the
engine.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org