[T3] Alive but not Perfect (was RE: Trickle Charger)

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 12 10:14:55 PDT 2011

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 09:06:08 -0500
> Subject: Re: [T3] Alive but not Perfect (was RE: Trickle Charger)
>
> On 11 Aug 2011 at 21:37, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > In sort, to start, pressure has to be up, then couple pumps of the
> > throttle, open the throttle all the way, engage starter, and as comes
> > to life, feather the throttle.  Oh, and on first start up, smelled
> > real bad, then was faint, but still smells.  I am thinking bad
> > gasoline, idle speed and T.P.S. in that order.  What do you all think
> > I need to check?
>
> Your experience is pretty typical. It wouldn't hurt to top up the
> tank, but the gas in there is decent. Idle will fix itself once
> everything in there frees itself up. Forget about the TPS; it doesn't
> have anything to do with any of this. In general, you only have to
> adjust a TPS once - when you install it.

I was told by Tram on theSamba it was fouled plugs, is this not correct?
Kind of annoying every time I stow down it dies and have to start it, and
doubt other motorists be tolerant.

Last time I checked the T.P.S., you all said it was faulty, so was think-
ing it was not helping matters, but notice that is the last thing I
suspected. ;)  Guess since I have another one, could swap and be sure all
is right.  Reminded me I needed to print out the adjustment procedure and
put it in the binder with the Bentley (had the binding cut and three hole
punched as was starting to fall apart).

> I would check the plumbing for gas leaks when the engine is running.
> Look under both ends of the car and all around the top side of the
> engine.

Will do.

Thank you so very much!
Adriel