[T3] Mirror adhesive...

Cybernotchback cybernotchback at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 13:16:17 PDT 2011

________________________________
From: Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org>
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 11:18 PM
Subject: Re: [T3] Mirror adhesive...

From:  Frank Meek

> While I too thought that silicone was the best solution for this, three
> screwed up mirrors later have given me another opinion.  The silicone would
> be fine if it only touched the glass and not the silver surface that *is*the
> mirror.  It will take that coating off in about six months...or less.

>From Jim A
I had wondered about that possibility. Most silicone caulks release
acetic acid as they cure,
I'd also wondered if you could overspray the backside of the mirror
with some kind of paint that might seal the reflecting coating. Did
you try anything like that?

Concentrated acetic acid is used in photography as a "Fixer".  Here the acetic acid  has a dual role, it helps to neutralize the developer, and also washes off the unexposed and undeveloped silver particles from the film or paper.  So I'm not surprised that in Frank's case the silicone removed the silver from the glass.

 Jim's suggestion of coating the back side of the silver might work, but with other adhesives on the market I'd go for one specific for mirrors

Cheers,

John