[T3] smelling gas

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 03:13:28 PDT 2011

There's a possibility of a leak in the fuel pipes through the tunnel.  If
the smell is inside more than outside it may indicate that.  That's not an
easy fix if so.  Some fit a new pipe around the edge of the floorpan.  I
know someone managed to put a new pipe through the tunnel.

Is it still noticeable with a fairly low fuel tank level?  The seam can rust
and allow a leak there which might be hard to spot if it evaporates before
it's seen.

A leaking rear hose might allow fumes into the car via the heater system,
but with the pressurised hoses in FI, any leak is usually only too obvious!

Dave.
UK VW type 3&4 Club