[T3] smelling gas

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Aug 18 06:48:55 PDT 2011

On 18 Aug 2011 at 8:29, John L. Morgan IV wrote:

> Jim, def not just rich.  It has been sitting for 24 hours now, and
> when I walk out the front door it hits me, mildly.  When I open the car
> door it really hits me.  Still not drips or dampness.

Keep in mind that the outdoor smell has a LOT of space to dissipate
into, while the interior is confined. That alone could account for
the difference in smell intensity.

It could be a very small leak at one end or the other, just outside
the interior. A leak there could seep down the hose and onto the pipe
leading into the interior and follow that pipe past the grommet and
into the tunnel.

Since it leaks with the tank low and the engine off, we know it's not
the overflow hose or the tank seam, but we also know it's not
dependent on FI pressure. You may have to get where you can reach in
and feel for wetness at the 4 places where those pipes feed into the
interior.

Dave's talking about the horizontal seam where the upper and lower
half of the tank are welded together. That's inside the trunk. You
might want to do a visual inspection under the trunk liner sometime
after you've topped up the tank. Just look for wetness at any of the
upper hose connections. Trunk leaks tend to smell in the interior
also.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org