[T3] Smelling Gas

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 10:21:41 PDT 2011

> engine end, on the passenger side. looks like the line has a cut in
> it...not leaking at the clamp. it seems easy to disconnect the one end,
> leading into the rear seat area, but the other end, which leads into the
> engine area, seems trickier.
*********************
Several years ago, my wife (accidentally) "dropped" the right-rear wheel
over a small Down-Ramp Curb.  The curb apparently "bumped" the bottom of the
engine hard enough, that it drove the engine out of the mount.

When the engine went UP, the "firewall" tin slightly cut the Return Fuel
Hose just forward (non-pressurized side) of the Pressure Regulator.  She
smelled gas and was concerned about driving the car.  She called a friend of
mine ... I was out-of-town on a business trip, at the time.

I couldn't find the very minor leak for the longest time.  In fact, the car
sat in the garage for a couple of years until I had time to locate the
source of the leak.

By then, I decided to have the engine re-built and have hardened valve seats
installed because of the EPA's(?) decision to have GASOLINE LEAD removed
from regular fuel.  I now use 91-octane, no ethanol added, fuel from Kwik
Trip in the car.  I also saw 93 octane, no ethanol gas at a Mobile station,
the other day.  But the car is running superbly ... Thanks to Jim A. doing
several "fixes" this summer and last.

What YEAR was lead removed from fuel in the U.S.?

Anyway ... THAT fuel smell from a minor fuel hose (being) cut, was difficult
to find, also.

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Lake Geneva, WI