[T3] oil and heater channel air temperatures

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Aug 23 17:23:59 PDT 2011

The Motor Industry Research Association test on a new 1969 1600E Fastback
gave heat exchanger temps of 120C and 117C at 20mph and 40 mph respectively.
Cabin temps were measured at 31-39C at 20mph and 39-53C at 40mph (depending
on where sampled).  Ambient temp was 6C.

As yours is the 1500 version, do you think they left out the heater mixing
boxes?  On the higher spec cars there is a box on the bulkhead each side
which contains a thermostat to mix in cold air to try to keep the cabin heat
airflow at a reasonably constant temp.  Our '64 1500S could melt the rubber
mats because it didn't have the heater thermostats.

Take a look at the engine - is there a 1" pipe across each side of the
engine under the cylinder tin, fed with cool air from the fan outlet?

Does the existence of footwell vent covers also suggest no temp control?
I'm only familiar with the internal flap diverter control.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club