[T3] Speedometer Report

Know One knowonelse at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 26 21:04:51 PDT 2011

> Are you sure the problem is that the backside of the needle is
rubbing? I've never seen that (but I've never actually had to remove and replace a needle) and there are other things that can cause erratic needle movement. <

the plastic needle is a snap fit onto a metal hub which is asymetrical and provides a counterweight to the swinging needle.

The needle will move slightly in/out (facing the speedo) up/down from the plane of the speedo to allow it to clear the stop.

The metal behind the needle is what is rubbing against the beauty ring (my name for it).

I added a photo to TheSamba of this. Look for "Speedo needle counterweight drag" or photos by me Jeff67Sqbk.

I also uploaded a couple of photos of where I attached a ground wire to the instrument cluster and where I ran it between the plastic cluster works and the metal housing.

Jeff '67 Sqbk