[T3] knocking sound at a hard stop-front of car

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 15:32:05 PDT 2011

If it's  a single clonk, it could be a loose caliper.  Check the tightness
of the bolts, and that they are locked with a tab or lock washer.

Pull and push on the top of the wheel - it might be the upper torsion bar
(swing bar) needing adjustment.

Take a good look and preferably get someone to turn the wheel to and fro
looking for loose joints.

Make sure it's not something loose in the front trunk.  A friend of mine
with a Type 4 couldn't work out what the clonking noise was, until he
realised it was just an iceberg in the screenwash!

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club