[T3] Speedo Assembly '67ish

Know One knowonelse at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 19 17:33:48 PDT 2011

The needle of the speedo I purchased a few weeks ago at a VW swap sat at 30 MPH when not connected to the cable, which I knew was the condition when I bought it. It is a white needle speedo correct for a '67.

I took it apart today to check into it and during the removal of the bezel, the needle assembly fell out, with the plastic needle remaining attached to the brass center piece.

I haven't taken it apart further than getting the guts out of the case and then I noticed something else.

The face of the speedo consists of a plastic portion with the numbers and a metal piece which is screwed two places to the working guts. The plastic covers the metal.

I don't see an obvious way to separate the plastic from the metal in order to expose the screws.

A) How are they held together?
B) Does it matter if the metal/plastic is a bit loosely attached to the guts?

It appears that the needle assembly is a press fit onto the shaft of the guts.

C) Is there a slot or registration for this assembly?

I would assume that there should be some pre-loading to bring the needle to the lowest indication (10MPG).

D) How is the preset established?

My guess is to more or less start the press fit at where 0 MPH would be, then bring the needle over the stop and so a final press.

Overall, this speedo looks really clean and in excellent shape, including the trip-odo. I know there are problems with the trip-odo

E) What are the indications of a problem so I can check this one?

On another piece of dash -
The instrument cluster I got for $5 only needed the metal center beauty cover over the cluster to be glued in place. Removing the bezel was easy enough. Amazing to see a cluster that isn't all tarnished and corroded like mine is! It's really clean. All ready for installation. It is marked 12v, just checked it.

Jeff '67 Sqbk