[T3] type 4 2000cc oil pressure and overheating problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Dec 10 06:42:28 PST 2011

On 9 Dec 2011 at 23:41, Keith Park wrote:

> The final conclusion was that the T3 engine is the ONLY one that uses a 2
> stage cooling fan, and that's because you don't get forced induction in a
> Square or Fasty and the single stage fan on the T4 will not "pull" the air
> in properly, my heads were always cool but the Oil was the problem under any
> mixture I tried.

I'm not convinced that you've pinned down your problem. I understand
that you've eliminated some possibilities, but the fact that none of
us can think of any other possibilities doesn't mean that they aren't
out there.

Also, I don't understand what it is about the Type 4 intake that
provides "forced induction." It's been years since I dealt with one,
and this is not an aspect I paid any attention to, but the Type 4
squareback louvers and ducting strike me as pretty much the same as
those in the Type 3 squareback.

The notch ducting is a lot more convoluted. Are you under the
impression that the area behind the notch rear window is a high
pressure region? Is this true? I wouldn't expect this, but I don't
know.
Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org