[T3] so it was 60 last friday

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Feb 22 20:13:09 PST 2011

On 22 Feb 2011 at 20:56, Keith Park wrote:

> I have an extra backflow valve in line with the pump that Jim Adney gave me
> after he rebuilt the pump, and after discovering that this eliminated the
> pressure falls

Keith had some trouble with the pump as I originally rebuilt it.
Since then, I have taken greater pains to get a good finish on the
Teflon buttons I machine for the internal pump check valves. I had
expected the Teflon to cold flow and seal without this, but that
didn't happen fast enough in Keith's case. I think there's a good
chance that the extra check valve isn't necessary by this time.

> I really suspect that adding this valve might eliminate some of the
> flat spots some of us have with the D jet, and eliminate the hard
> starts that seem to be occurring From vapor lock or the pump losing
> prime.

Neither check valve has any effect once the engine is running. The
pumps deliver MUCH more gas than the engine can possibly use. This
keeps the check valves open all the time. The excess gas passes thru
the pressure regulator and back to the tank. Much more flows back to
the tank than ever gets used.

Gary Forsmo did some tests on pump delivery rate. I don't recall his
results exactly, but I think they were something like 3/4 liter per
minute or about 1/4 gal/minute. If you traveled at 100 mi/hr and used
gas at that rate, you'd be getting about 6 mi/gal. Having done 100
mi/hr in a Type 3, I can assure you that the gas mileage is at least
3 times better than that, even at 100 mi/hr.

Gary, correct me if I'm way off on your pump delivery rates.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org