[T3] so it was 60 last friday

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Wed Feb 23 09:29:59 PST 2011

Well according to Ray Greenwood (who doesntknow that the type 3 E pressure
sensor exists) has seen fuel pressure fluxuate with throttle position,
causing problems in the T4 application, I cant imagine that the T3
application would be different enough to change that but Ray actually puts
TWO fuel pumps in series to eliminate this problem.  When I had the T4
engine in there I saw very little of the fuel pressure fluxuation problems
and Ray attributed that to the check valve. Even with the valve there is a
1PSI or so fluxuation under certain conditions, but without it Im told
2-3psi... although personally I have not witnessed it.

Keith

Neither check valve has any effect once the engine is running. The
pumps deliver MUCH more gas than the engine can possibly use. This
keeps the check valves open all the time. The excess gas passes thru
the pressure regulator and back to the tank. Much more flows back to
the tank than ever gets used.

Gary Forsmo did some tests on pump delivery rate. I don't recall his
results exactly, but I think they were something like 3/4 liter per
minute or about 1/4 gal/minute. If you traveled at 100 mi/hr and used
gas at that rate, you'd be getting about 6 mi/gal. Having done 100
mi/hr in a Type 3, I can assure you that the gas mileage is at least
3 times better than that, even at 100 mi/hr.

Gary, correct me if I'm way off on your pump delivery rates.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org