[T3] Plastic Piece in video

Tim Keohane rheorojo at wildblue.net
Sat Feb 26 08:27:17 PST 2011

I have one question: At about 2:20 into your video, you're showing a
plastic piece that protected the wiring harness under the dash. I
have 2-3 of these that I've pulled out of various cars, and they
seemed to come in various colors over time but all with the same part
number. I've only seen them in the later years, maybe only '72-3.
Here's my question: Exactly where does it go?

I've never been able to figure out exactly where they should fit.
It's gotta be somewhere up inside the far left, but I've never found
the orientation that seemed a perfect fit. All the ones I've come
across had fallen out of position and clearly weren't where they were
supposed to be.

Can someone describe that to me really clearly, including the
orientation of that part? There's a little crease along one edge;
that's got to fit around something in particular, but what?

thanks,

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

My, guess is: that it is a non conductive barrier inserted above the
head lamp and emergency flasher switched.  I recall feeling something
similar to that when changing my head lamp switch, and more recently
the fresh air fan switch when I over tightened and parted the stem. I
always thought it odd that the alignment orientation of the head lamp
switch was to point the contacts up toward the metal dash. I realize
that may also be the largest "empty/unused" area, so point the
contacts up.
Tim