[T3] Tire failure?

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 04:48:55 PST 2011

I had a tyre go completely flat in freezing weather, just sitting in the
drive.  I don't think the valve froze as the cap was on, but I think some
water froze between the bead and the rim.  I couldn't find any other
explanation.  Once the cold weather went, the tyre was fine again.  Another
cold snap resulted in my watercooled VW Polo not even turning over - the
engine felt seized.  When I got home at the end of the day having used
another VW (!), it started absolutely fine (maybe it felt ashamed of letting
me down?).  I wondered if condensation had frozen in a cylinder.  We get
freezing days after rain quite often, which plays havoc with door locks if
the water seals are not perfect.

Dave,
UK VW Type 3&4 Club
=========