[T3] Up date on 72 Fastback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jan 22 15:17:43 PST 2011

On 22 Jan 2011 at 10:33, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> Right, all the 70 and later cars should be the same, as the 70 an on got
> longer front fenders than the 69 and earlier were shorter.
> Like Jim mentioned, the 71 main wiring harness had a mid year change, in
> that the wiring harness was moved from outside the car (over the inner rear
> fender), to thru the back seat wall. This results in the wiring harness
> being  about 2 feet shorter (saved VW some money). This new rear harness also
> got  the connections (extra wires) for the computer diagnostic system that the
>  dealers used (way back then), that was used thru the end of production.
> Just  something to think about.

And it's even more than that. Everything got a ground wire in '69.
The dashboard controls moved around in '70 or '71 and changed
completely in '72. The turn signal wires were just a bundle of cables
up thru '70, but in '71 they got a connector at the bottom of the
steering column. The wiper motor and its wiring changed in '71. Then
in '72, the wiper switch got moved to a steering column stalk with a
new connector. '72 also saw the introduction of the seat belt warning
light and a changed buzzer connection.  '73 got a (fairly worthless)
light to illuminate the heater levers. And there must be more that I
haven't remembered.

This is just one reason why replacement harnesses are never as good
as the originals, because they are never completely right, and often
they are wrong in very important ways.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org