[T3] Rattling shifter

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jan 30 18:20:45 PST 2011

On 30 Jan 2011 at 17:25, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> It seems to me
> that the bushing is ripped/torn/broken.  Would you all agree ?  I saved some
> notes about the discussion of this replacement job.  Am I correct in
> thinking you HAVE to pull the rod completely out?  Sounds like some thought
> it could be done without that happening, but in the end, it probably was
> near impossible to do it with the shift rod still in the car.
>
> So is this the process?:
>
>    - Remove rod thru the front.
>    - As rod slides out, remove old bushing and keep retaining ring.
>    - Slide rod back in putting new bushing around rod, sliding bushing into
>    bracket.
>    - Add retaining ring around bushing.

That sounds about right, but I've never had to do this job.

> It seems simple enough, but I know folks have cursed up and down while
> trying to do all of this.  I can't quite understand why the bushing doesn't
> want to easily go into the bracket?  Is that because it's too big in the
> middle.  I think someone said there's a thin part of the rod where you can
> put the bushing on and then get it in the bracket, taking advantage of the
> diameter of the rod at that point.  Is this right?

I think that's right. I believe the rod tapers down just before it
enters the rear coupler. Doing the work at that taper might make
things "easier."

> Any clarification greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure how far forward you have to pull the rod, so you may
have to remove the spare tire well and possibly the cover in the
front apron to get enough room to do this.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org