[T3] Brake pedal pushrod was Houston, we have ignition!

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Jul 31 05:51:52 PDT 2011

In a message dated 7/31/2011 7:48:49 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:

I think  I recall seeing different lengths for the pushrod mentioned in the
factory  Workshop Manual, or a reference to a length that was shorter than
all the  ones I have.

The parts book gives a 113 number for the early  push-rod, and a 311 number
for the 67-on, so that solves the origin  question as a Beetle part.

The blue Bentley (which was printed from the factory shop manuals) does
call out 2 different lengths for the push rod (143.5 mm for single circuit
drum brakes, and 153.5 mm for dual circuit disc brakes). I haven't  looked
thru the parts book to see if they called out 2 different part numbers  though,
but I believe Jim did, and found 2 different numbers for the early
version, and 1 for the late.

It would make sense that VW would try to use as many parts as it already
has in stock for other models, as it lowers their costs, and tooling. When I
restored a VW Thing a few years ago, it had T-1, T-2, and T-3 parts mixed
into  it. That saves costs of tooling up something (by raiding the parts bin).

I've noticed that with my T-34 too, in that it does share some t-14  parts,
but not completely all of those parts (some might have started as a t-14
part that was then modified and then became a t-34 part). This could be
possible for a low production vehicle, as they don't have to go to greater
expense producing limited parts (again, raiding the parts bin).

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)