[T3] Fuel

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 6 20:22:05 PDT 2011

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:31:33 -0500
> Subject: Re: [T3] Fuel
>
> On 6 Jun 2011 at 15:04, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > What should my next action be?
>
> IIRC, your gas gauge problem is that it's blinking. I assume this
> also means the blinker relay is clicking all the time. If that's the
> case, here's what to look for:

The wire broke going to the relay, so no relay in the system.  Gas
gauge does not seem to work, and knew I was low, thus why I got fuel.
Other than that, do not see how this pertains to my engine running...

> Your flasher relay and TS switch are not the problem. They are
> probably fine.

So you believe the EP36 is fine?  Then why so many say the EP35 is the
correct one?  I got it today, so when I get a chance will try it.  It
does say for four emergency flashers and ground were the other said
neutral.  Under ten, so figure might as well try. ;)

> You've changed the wiring so that the gauge cluster wire is getting
> its power thru the blinker relay. That's why they are blinking. Find
> the black wire that comes out of the gauge back plate, and follow it.
> It must be connected to something that is powered thru the blinker
> relay. That spot should get its power directly from the ign switch;
> it should come on steadily when the ign sw is ON and go off when the
> ign sw is OFF.

I am getting really frustrated.  I am glad you are more than willing to
help and I am more than grateful for this, but the former is the reason
I said I wanted to leave it until I tried the new flasher: all else has
been ruled out.

Do I need to do a video to prove black is on the first right terminal?
You have a '71 right?  Maybe you can have a look at whether I am proper.

Which side of the fuse box is powered only with key on, and how?  I found
a G that had no ground on the fuel gauge so grounded it with no
improvement.  Now have two grounds on the guage: 31 and G.

I have obligations until the evening, but will see what I can do.

Thank you,
Adriel