[T3] Clutch and Brake pedal freeplay

Bryon Garvin spinningrooves at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 09:05:01 PDT 2011

> Yes, the stop plate adjusts both pedals. That way, if you adjust it
> so that both pedals are at the same level when at rest.

Ok - yeah, I got them even last night.  Test drive to work seemed great.
 Between replacing the shift rod bushing a few months ago and now finally
getting the pedals right....it all feels great now!

> The good news is that you should only have to do this
> once, and you should actually never have to do this unless someone
> has messed with the pedal stop before you got the car.

I have found very little in this car that seems screwed up or hacked.  My
grandmother-in-law was the original owner and thankfully just about
everything is where it should be.  But the stop plate either slipped over
time or someone did screw with that.  It was way out of place.

> The clutch pedal adjustment is a lot "mushier" than the brake pedal.
> It's even worse if the clutch return spring is broken. (The one back
> on the side of the bell housing.) That spring is often broken by now
> and you should replace it if it's bad. If it's bad, it will be broken
> into 2 pieces, so it will be obvious.

Spring is there, not broken.  I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the help!

 - Bryon, '71 Fastback