[T3] Clutch and Brake pedal freeplay

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jun 9 06:12:05 PDT 2011

On 8 Jun 2011 at 21:09, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> My first question:  Is that correct?  The stop plate can affect the clutch
> pedal too if improperly adjusted?  I was under the impression that plate was
> just big enough to work on the brake pedal but it appears to be big enough
> to cover both pedals.

Yes, the stop plate adjusts both pedals. That way, if you adjust it
so that both pedals are at the same level when at rest. This can be
touchy, because the stop plate will turn as well as move forward and
back, plus it's pretty hard to see. So it can involve a fair amount
of trial and error before you get it like you want it.

Yes, once you get this right, you may have to readjust the clutch
free play. The good news is that you should only have to do this
once, and you should actually never have to do this unless someone
has messed with the pedal stop before you got the car.

The clutch pedal adjustment is a lot "mushier" than the brake pedal.
It's even worse if the clutch return spring is broken. (The one back
on the side of the bell housing.) That spring is often broken by now
and you should replace it if it's bad. If it's bad, it will be broken
into 2 pieces, so it will be obvious.

I think there were 3 different versions of this spring, so make sure
you get the right one for your year of tranny.

It CAN be replaced without taking anything apart. You just have to
"unscrew" the old parts from the clutch lever and "screw" the new one
into place. It may take a hammer tap on a screwdriver to drive the
fixed end into place, and I use the closed end of a 10 mm combination
wrench to lever the hook end of the spring over the lever at the
final step.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org