[T3] Clutch and Brake pedal freeplay

Bryon Garvin spinningrooves at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 21:09:40 PDT 2011

Ok,

I thought I understood this one, but tonight I ran into something I hadn't
anticipated.  My brake pedal had too much travel, so I got down there and
proceeded to adjust the stop for it.  I couldn't slide it to the point where
it was giving proper brake pedal play.  A few minutes of futzing around, I
realized that the pedal stop was also affected by the clutch pedal.  The
clutch pedal was too far down and was keeping me from moving the stop plate
closer to the rear of the car.  So I pushed the clutch pedal in a bit and
the stop plate moved to where I needed.  Now the brake pedal is GREAT.
 However, the clutch needs to be adjusted again.  I thought I had it
perfect, but moving the plate has changed that.

My first question:  Is that correct?  The stop plate can affect the clutch
pedal too if improperly adjusted?  I was under the impression that plate was
just big enough to work on the brake pedal but it appears to be big enough
to cover both pedals.

Secondly, assuming I had done that right, I needed to go back and adjust the
clutch cable again at the tranny.  I loosened the nut to put more slack in
the cable.  It seemed to work and I think I'm good now.  But here's my
question.  The free-play thing on the clutch pedal has always been harder
for me to judge.  With the brake pedal, it's more obvious.  The pedal
travels, then hits the MC and you know exactly when things are right.  With
the clutch cable, I am looking for some feedback on what it feels like when
you've reached the point that you should be measuring the end of the
free-play travel.  To me, I push it with one or two fingers and when I can't
really push it anymore easily, I call it done and measure that distance.
 Does this sound about right?

 - Bryon, '71 Fastback