[T3] Jacking Points

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jun 17 14:28:06 PDT 2011

On 17 Jun 2011 at 14:01, Rodney Schofield wrote:

> Recently my '67 fastback had all four tires slashed. (My sister's
> bi-polar and schizophrenic son decided to have an "episode" with my
> car as the unfortunate victim.) .

Wow, that's too bad, for your nephew, your sister, as well as you and
your car. At least the victum was something that could be replaced.

> Can someone supply me with a comprehensive list of safe jacking /
> jack-stand points. I guess I just need to know all the areas > that
> will safely bear the weight of the car using jacks and jack stands.

I recommend that you not use the OE jack and jacking points. Use any
other kind of jack that you can slip under a stronger part of the
car.

Anywhere under the front axle beam is great. That's a really strong
member and there's not much weight on the front.

In back it's pretty much the same. Look for the torsion tube that's
transverse across the car in front of the rear wheels. Anywhere along
it's length, including the ends is fine.

The hard part will be lifting the car in stages so that it doesn't
fall off the jackstands on the way up.

One thing you might want to consider would be to do this in stages:
Jack only the front end first, then remove those 2 wheels and get
those tires replaced.

Once you've got 2 good tires in the front, it will be much easier and
much safer to jack the rear and replace those 2.

Yes, that's more trips and more time, but it sure beats the sound of
ripping sheet metal as your car slips off a jackstand which then
proceeds to tear up the car.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org