[T3] Cylinder Performance

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 19 09:19:08 PDT 2011

> From: dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:12:47 +0100
> Subject: Re: [T3] Cylinder Performance
>
> Could be your plug wires are even worse now! You should be getting around
> 5000 Ohms, so you would see '1' on the 2K range. The range gives the
> maximum it will read. '1' would show it's above the range selected.
> Usually on 2K the readings would be in thousands so your 0.863 is 863 Ohms
> or (0.863 K Ohms).

If I remember right from High School auto shop, spark plug wires should be
around 1k Ohm or was that the coil lead?  These are modern wires from the
F.L.A.P.S. so I expected the same.  Why is this not good?  Thought
resistance was not a good thing...

I know "1" is the default circuit to prevent over load, unlike the analog
gauges where one can fry the circuit.

I thought it was 863, but I got no reading when using the smaller scale.

> Try it on a 10K range if you have one, or the next higher one from 2K
> anyway. I would expect the reading should be between 4.something and
> 5.something.

I worked my way down as I do not want to get in the habit of starting were I
think it should be, then use an analog and fry it. ;)  So at that scale it
read 0.0863, so moved down to the next, 0.864, moved again, "1".

> Better still, stop wasting time measuring resistances and find the leads you
> got from Jim ! You could simply compare them if you don't want to fit them
> yet.

So I should not do as Adney asked?  It was only 50 miles round trip, and about
five minutes to do...

Do want to fit them, just need to get out to Oma's and get them.  Morning taking
a bit as had to wrap a Father's day gift, ;) and still have to do my morning
tasks which takes at least an hour and a half.

Thank you so very much!
Adriel