[T3] Cylinder Performance

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 19 09:35:47 PDT 2011

On 18 Jun 2011 at 20:35, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> > From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> >
> > Black plugs usually mean that the cylinder is not firing at all. This
> > would be due to lack of spark, lack of fuel, or lack of compression.
> > Check the resistance of all 4 SP wires.
> >
> Scale set to 2k Ohms works, but a couple years or so ago all I could
> get was just "1".  Guess my meter skill have improved. ;)
>
> 1-0.863
> 2-1058
> 3-0.556
> 4-1075

They should all be ~1000 Ohms. Your 2 & 4 look okay, but 1 & 3 seem
oddly low. I've never seen them go low, so this is puzzling. Perhaps
you should check them again. The actual value really isn't important;
they eventually go open (infinite resistance) and that's when they
need to be replaced.

The rotor should measure ~5000 Ohms from center to end. Some wire
sets also include a special lumped resistor in the coil connection. I
THINK that one is also ~5000 Ohms, but many wiresets lack that
resistor and are zero Ohms for the coil wire.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org