[T3] Cylinder Performance

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 19 15:01:41 PDT 2011

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 11:35:47 -0500
> Subject: Re: [T3] Cylinder Performance
>
> On 18 Jun 2011 at 20:35, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > > From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> > >
> > > Black plugs usually mean that the cylinder is not firing at all. This
> > > would be due to lack of spark, lack of fuel, or lack of compression.
> > > Check the resistance of all 4 SP wires.
> > >
> > Scale set to 2k Ohms works, but a couple years or so ago all I could
> > get was just "1".  Guess my meter skill have improved. ;)
> >
> > 1-0.863
> > 2-1058
> > 3-0.556
> > 4-1075
>
> They should all be ~1000 Ohms. Your 2 & 4 look okay, but 1 & 3 seem
> oddly low. I've never seen them go low, so this is puzzling. Perhaps
> you should check them again. The actual value really isn't important;
> they eventually go open (infinite resistance) and that's when they
> need to be replaced.

Interesting you have not seen this before.  Will measure again, but
only for curiosity.

I had a surprise when I opened the garage door: I had cleaned up and
was able to walk right up, opened the cupboard up, and found the spark
plug wires that you had rebuilt were right were I thought they were.
Feels so good to know were at least some of my stuff is. ;)  Point is,
just going to swap and know they are good, as you rebuilt them. ;)

> The rotor should measure ~5000 Ohms from center to end. Some wire
> sets also include a special lumped resistor in the coil connection. I
> THINK that one is also ~5000 Ohms, but many wiresets lack that
> resistor and are zero Ohms for the coil wire.

Thank you Adney for clarifying.

Thank you,
Adriel