[T3] Re/ Runs Great...but very hot...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 19 09:35:46 PDT 2011

On 18 Jun 2011 at 23:14, J. Jonik wrote:

> Ooops...forgot to mention that this 71 car has a 72 engine....with
> compatible control box brain installed...and then replaced by another
> 72-compatible "brain"  that seemed to eliminate most problems...along
> with unplugging Air Dist Temp Sensor and Cold Start.   Why did VW put
> that Air Distributor Temp Sensor there if a car doesn't need it?
> Something's wrong here.  But an "old head" VW mechanic said that Temp
> Sensor doesn't do much. Others say it will add to fuel use.

While it's true that this temp sensor doesn't do much, that doesn't
mean that replacing it with an infinite resistor (open circuit) is a
reasonable thing to do. That makes the FI think the incoming air is
VERY cold, which I would expect would make the FI run a bit rich. I'm
not actually sure of that.

>   Having had such cars since the late 70s, taking them to Mexico and
> on 8000 mile zig zag cross country trips a bunch of times (with good
> and bad results), I sort of know what "hot" is.   When it's almost too
> hot to touch metal near the engine area  before taking the lid
> off....I worry....especially if it's only after about 10 miles in only
> upper 70s temps.

Have you checked your thermostat linkage? One somewhat easy thing to
do would be to just feel under the rear of the engine when it's
running and hot. You should feel a considerable stream of hot air
blowing out. I can usually feel this on my ankles when I'm working at
the back of the car while wearing shorts.

Go ahead and just LOOK at the thermostat with a flashlight. Do this
while the engine is cold and again when hot. You should see that it
is taller when hot.

The cooling air should all be pulled in from the side body  louvers,
so the big bellows in back needs to be intact. If it's missing or
torn, the engine will draw in hot air to cool itself. Once you have
cool air coming in, it should not be allowed to escape until it's
been pumped all the way from the top to the bottom of the engine.
Does this engine have the little plates on each side of the engine
that the SP wires pass thru on the way to the SPs? Does each SP
connector have the little rubber airseal flap that closes off that
opening?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org