[T3] Re/ Runs Great...but very hot...

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sun Jun 19 17:55:42 PDT 2011

Jim is right, it DOES richen the mixture up by 10-15 percent, more so when
its cold.  If you unplug it and it works properly THEN you have something
wrong that has been causing it to run too lean.

VW never puts things on their cars that don’t have a purpose...  ;-)

Keith

> Ooops...forgot to mention that this 71 car has a 72 engine....with
> compatible control box brain installed...and then replaced by another
> 72-compatible "brain"  that seemed to eliminate most problems...along
> with unplugging Air Dist Temp Sensor and Cold Start.   Why did VW put
> that Air Distributor Temp Sensor there if a car doesn't need it?
> Something's wrong here.  But an "old head" VW mechanic said that Temp
> Sensor doesn't do much. Others say it will add to fuel use.

While it's true that this temp sensor doesn't do much, that doesn't
mean that replacing it with an infinite resistor (open circuit) is a
reasonable thing to do. That makes the FI think the incoming air is
VERY cold, which I would expect would make the FI run a bit rich. I'm
not actually sure of that.