[T3] Cylinder Performance

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 19 19:46:08 PDT 2011

On 19 Jun 2011 at 15:39, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> > From: jadney at vwtype3.org

> > It doesn't matter whether the brush is round or straight, hand or
> > powered. If it has metal bristles it will leave metal tracks on the
> > porcelain.
> >
> What do you mean by tracks?  Had a ceramics class, and thought porcelain
> was only able to be scratched by a very course abrasive.

It is not glazed, so it is not smooth. That leaves it quite hard, but
also somewhat abrasive. Rub a bit of metal against it and you will
see a dark smudge where some metal got worn off and left on the
ceramic.

> This is the problem with California: they have been cramming down our
> throats extreme Environmentalism, which at times is needed because
> Capitalism is sometimes slow or lacking on taking action, and at times
> produced great results.  I have heard stories about how El Cajon
> Valley and especially L.A. Basin were soup bowls full of smog.

I worked in SoCal for a few months in the early '70s. One weekend I
decided to take a long ~60 mi bike ride. 30 mi out I noticed that the
sky was brown in every direction, then I realized the stuff I was
breathing was probably the same. Took me days for my lungs to
recover.

> We should though have a choice of whether we want pure gasoline,
E10, or E85. When I went to Iowa and could get pure gasoline, the
Mercury ran better, so then rather use that until I have the money to
get an auto that is more Environmentally friendly,

The Merc should run just fine on E10, but E85 would be completely out
of the question. The E10 probably gives slightly poorer gas mileage,
but not enough for most people to ever notice. Nevertheless, the jury
is still out on whether gasohol is an environmental benefit, simply
because it may take more energy to make a gallon of it than we can
get out of it.

> > Alcohol certainly makes gas more hydroscopic, but "fuel dryer" is
> > also alcohol, nothing more. It just gives the gas somewhat more
> > capacity to take water into solution. Water that's in solution is not
> > much of a problem; water that's free, floating along the bottom of
> > our tank, can cause big problems.

> I did not see an alcohol on the list, but interesting that it would be:
> makes since as just adding to the ability to hold more water.

Look for methanol, ethanol, isopropanol; anything that ends in -ol.
These are all things that will mix completely with both gasoline and
water.

> What kind of problems?

rust

> > I've never had a problem with old gas. I've had cars that have sat
> > for years and started up right away, once I put a good battery in
> > them.
> >
> Interesting.  I have read many articles how it turns into a substance that
> gums things up.  Why has this not happened to you?

If is allowed to almost completely evaporate, the heavier components,
the additives, will be left behind. This is what people will tell you
that "gas turns into." Yes, it's gummy, but it was there in solution
all along. The key is to limit the rate of evaporation. A good gas
cap helps, as does a full tank, which has less surface area exposed
to the air. That boundary layer is the only place where evaporation
can take place.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org