[T3] Cylinder Performance

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 19 22:30:29 PDT 2011

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 21:46:08 -0500
> Subject: Re: [T3] Cylinder Performance
>
> On 19 Jun 2011 at 15:39, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > > From: jadney at vwtype3.org
>
> > > It doesn't matter whether the brush is round or straight, hand or
> > > powered. If it has metal bristles it will leave metal tracks on the
> > > porcelain.
> > >
> > What do you mean by tracks?  Had a ceramics class, and thought porcelain
> > was only able to be scratched by a very course abrasive.
>
> It is not glazed, so it is not smooth. That leaves it quite hard, but
> also somewhat abrasive. Rub a bit of metal against it and you will
> see a dark smudge where some metal got worn off and left on the
> ceramic.

I do not recall seeing any of these, and the only part of the plug to touch
the wire was the tip, not even the treads.  So, not going to concern myself
but know I need to consider another method. ;)

> > This is the problem with California: they have been cramming down our
> > throats extreme Environmentalism, which at times is needed because
> > Capitalism is sometimes slow or lacking on taking action, and at times
> > produced great results.  I have heard stories about how El Cajon
> > Valley and especially L.A. Basin were soup bowls full of smog.
>
> I worked in SoCal for a few months in the early '70s. One weekend I
> decided to take a long ~60 mi bike ride. 30 mi out I noticed that the
> sky was brown in every direction, then I realized the stuff I was
> breathing was probably the same. Took me days for my lungs to
> recover.

Sorry to see you had trouble: must been hard back then.  Father mentioned
having trouble when he worked in Long Beach in the '70's.  Has asthma so
the smog and indoor smoking did not really help.  Could be the reason
children still have trouble, including allergies.  I hope to remember the
past so as we do not repeat it. ;|  The pendulum always seems so swing to
the extremes. ;|

A bit amazing you could do that long of a ride.  Your commuting to work
is encouragement to bike to class, then to everything else that I could.
Now to the point I have two bikes, a cargo trailer, and rebuilt a '68
Schwinn for my Sister, but even though she is a tree hugger will only use
the car.  Got quite crowded in the dorm. ;) So, thank you!

> > We should though have a choice of whether we want pure gasoline,
> E10, or E85. When I went to Iowa and could get pure gasoline, the
> Mercury ran better, so then rather use that until I have the money to
> get an auto that is more Environmentally friendly,
>
> The Merc should run just fine on E10, but E85 would be completely out
> of the question. The E10 probably gives slightly poorer gas mileage,
> but not enough for most people to ever notice. Nevertheless, the jury
> is still out on whether gasohol is an environmental benefit, simply
> because it may take more energy to make a gallon of it than we can
> get out of it.

I liked the bit more perk it had, and was a several mile per gallon
difference in consumption.  However, if I knew it really helped with
pollution, then I do it.  I have thought along the same lines.  I think
it is Brazil that is doing well with gasohol from feed grade beets.  I
have tried to set up the Squareback to run E85, but have not seen it
here locally.  If I had the time and place, I try and make it myself which
be a definite help to the environment. ;)

> > > Alcohol certainly makes gas more hydroscopic, but "fuel dryer" is
> > > also alcohol, nothing more. It just gives the gas somewhat more
> > > capacity to take water into solution. Water that's in solution is not
> > > much of a problem; water that's free, floating along the bottom of
> > > our tank, can cause big problems.
>
> > I did not see an alcohol on the list, but interesting that it would be:
> > makes since as just adding to the ability to hold more water.
>
> Look for methanol, ethanol, isopropanol; anything that ends in -ol.
> These are all things that will mix completely with both gasoline and
> water.

Thank you for the reminder, but chemistry was one of my favorite classes,
especially of the sciences.  Sorry, ;) but I just never got the mechanics
formulas, but liked E.M.F. as related to the Unified Field Theory.  Guess it
help if I understood better how Calculus related to practical life.

> > What kind of problems?
>
> rust

What about when the engine ingests water?  I would think it try and hydolock
if too much water.

> > > I've never had a problem with old gas. I've had cars that have sat
> > > for years and started up right away, once I put a good battery in
> > > them.
> > >
> > Interesting.  I have read many articles how it turns into a substance that
> > gums things up.  Why has this not happened to you?
>
> If is allowed to almost completely evaporate, the heavier components,
> the additives, will be left behind. This is what people will tell you
> that "gas turns into." Yes, it's gummy, but it was there in solution
> all along. The key is to limit the rate of evaporation. A good gas
> cap helps, as does a full tank, which has less surface area exposed
> to the air. That boundary layer is the only place where evaporation
> can take place.

Interesting!  Thank you for the good explanation.  Can one still get a
quality twist cap?  Mine is about twenty years old and all dried out, so
looks like I need to get another.  Be its third cap in its lifetime as
far as I know: still have the one before it.

Thank you so very much!
Adriel