[T3] Noise from the right side cylinder head.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jun 21 19:04:19 PDT 2011

On 21 Jun 2011 at 8:35, Alex Satala wrote:

> hello , i just finished rebiolding my type 3 engine and i have a problem.
> I have alot of clacking noise from the cylinder heads , especially from the
> right side, the problem could be because
>
> i installed shorter push rods from another engine (i had 4 long ones and 4 short
> ones and i only had 8 short ones).

Are the short pushrods standard ones that someone had shortened, or
are the long ones special long versions for stroker engine?

In general, small changes in length shouldn't make any difference as
long as you can adjust the valve gaps correctly. If the difference
gets too extreme, you can get a mismatch between the hole in the end
of the pushrod and the hole in the rocker socket such that you no
longer get oil up to the rocker shaft.

If this is a stock displacement engine with stock valve train, it
might be worthwhile getting a correct set of 8 stock pushrods. I know
I have bunches of them and I can't be the only one here with lots of
spares, so they should be cheap. Just make sure they are straight.
Bent ones show up easily if you try to roll them on a flat table.

> Is there any diference between the cyl. heads (are they left or right orientated
> ?).

As far as the drive train goes they are the same. The FI left heads
have a place to install a temp sensor, but you can use one of those
heads on the RHS with no problems.

> The same rods are silent on the left side and i also changed the rockers.
> What is the solution to the clacking noise other than new long push rods?

Check the valve gaps, try some good used pushrods.

Also, as a check, remove the RHS valve cover and have someone run the
engine while you watch under the engine. You should see oil dripping
out from that side within a minute of running at medium RPM. If not,
you have the oil hole mismatch problem, or oil is not getting from
the left side of the engine case to the right side via the passage
around the center cam bearing.

If you remove both valve covers, you could compare oil loss on the 2
sides. The right side might start a bit later, but it should
eventually drip almost as much as the left.

Don't do this too long. You don't want to make too much of a mess,
and you don't want to run the engine out of oil.

Let us know what you find.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org