[T3] A new T-34 owner?

John Jaranson jaransont3 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 21:08:10 PDT 2011

On Jun 27, 2011, at 12:59 AM, Jim Adney wrote:

> On 27 Jun 2011 at 0:15, John Jaranson wrote:
>
>> Got a few more things done on Jill's Ghia over the weekend.  I got the
>> new 3-point retractable seat belts installed.  I had to make a
>> reinforcement for the floor anchor.  Used a the portion of the center
>> tunnel from the scrap pan that had the seat belt anchors.  I re-shaped
>> the tunnel sheet metal so that I could bolt the seat belt to it
>> through the floor pan.  Also was able to remove one of the pan to body
>> bolts and sandwich the new reinforcement between the u-shaped body
>> washer and the floorpan.  It is as strong as I can make it without
>> taking the body off and welding a larger reinforcement into the
>> floorpan or inside of the rocker.
>
>> Besides it has to be way better than the shoulder-only belts that I
>> replaced. <G>
>
> I'm confused. The Ghia had inner anchor points and outer upper anchor
> points, but no outer lower points? And shoulder only belts? That's
> bizarre! This is a '67, right? I'm astonsihed that VW didn't have all
> 3 points in all their cars by now. If it didn't have the outer upper,
> that might not be too surprising, but no outer lower...?

Yup.  Only had the upper D-ring attachment and the attachments on the tunnel.  No lower outer attachment.

> The US required lap belts starting in '64. Now I'm wondering if the
> requirement might have been loosely written so that any kind of belt
> would have sufficed. I know these cars weren't sold in the US, but I
> think even my '62 beetle had all 3 (or at least the lower 2) mount
> points.
>
> The mount points that were there, were they the later 7/16" thread
> size, or the early ~1" size?

Both attachments were the 7/16" thread size.

> How about some of you out there with '67 fastys and squares; what did
> they have for mount points? I know '67 beetles had all 3.

Sophy (66 US Spec Squareback) had all 3 mounting locations, including the ones in the floorpan for the lower outer anchor.

>From the other replies, it looks like it was a Euro-spec vs. US spec thing.

Later,
John Jaranson
www.carartbyjohn.com