[T3] Still More on the 71 Ignition Switch -- it is installed and working (mostly).

Marklist marklist at healeyopolis.com
Wed Jun 29 19:50:04 PDT 2011

On 06/26/2011 10:21 PM, Marklist wrote:
> Today I got the electrical switch (Part # 111-905-865-F at cip1.com)
> to fix the ignition on my 71.  I was hoping to find one that would fit
> that had an accessory position but no luck on that front.  It turns
> out that the one I got is a bug switch, so I'm going to have to use
> the meter to get the electrical connections correct.
>
> Last week I went to the local junk yards to find one of the steering
> lock housing that also holds the switch, and fortunately, found one in
> a bug.  I did this to do as much on the desk before I took apart the
> steering column.
>
> It turns out that it was a wise decision to do so.  The hole in the
> after market switch and center post in the after market tumbler I have
> don't exactly fit correctly.  The tumbler post is a little too wide
> for the hole in the switch.  It's nothing you'd notice when putting it
> together but when you remove the key, the post doesn't slide back to
> engage the steering lock and disconnect the "key in" ground signal
> that I've used (with a relay in a blank spot of the fuse block) as a
> psuedo accessory position.
>
> I don't know which one is out of spec, the switch or the tumbler
> post.  I decided to file down the sides of the tumbler post because it
> is easier than filing inside a small hole.  Now that portion works fine.
>
> Unfortunately I have work until Wednesday and no well lit place to
> work on the car at night.  Fortunately I can walk to work.  Also
> fortunately, I have the connectors and a molex crimper so installing
> it shouldn't be that difficult and I won't have to splice wires.
>
> Any suggestions about what I should be looking out for come Tuesday?

I got it in and connected, and it works fine except for one thing.
Either the post on the tumbler is too short or the hole in the switch
too deep.  Which ever it is, I now have no "key in" psuedo accessory
position. or keys left in buzzer (which I disabled anyway).  I would
like to correct this.

Does anyone have any Ideas how to do this?