[T3] Still More on the 71 Ignition Switch

Marklist marklist at healeyopolis.com
Sun Jun 26 22:21:41 PDT 2011

Today I got the electrical switch (Part # 111-905-865-F at cip1.com) to
fix the ignition on my 71.  I was hoping to find one that would fit that
had an accessory position but no luck on that front.  It turns out that
the one I got is a bug switch, so I'm going to have to use the meter to
get the electrical connections correct.

Last week I went to the local junk yards to find one of the steering
lock housing that also holds the switch, and fortunately, found one in a
bug.  I did this to do as much on the desk before I took apart the
steering column.

It turns out that it was a wise decision to do so.  The hole in the
after market switch and center post in the after market tumbler I have
don't exactly fit correctly.  The tumbler post is a little too wide for
the hole in the switch.  It's nothing you'd notice when putting it
together but when you remove the key, the post doesn't slide back to
engage the steering lock and disconnect the "key in" ground signal that
I've used (with a relay in a blank spot of the fuse block) as a psuedo
accessory position.

I don't know which one is out of spec, the switch or the tumbler post.
I decided to file down the sides of the tumbler post because it is
easier than filing inside a small hole.  Now that portion works fine.

Unfortunately I have work until Wednesday and no well lit place to work
on the car at night.  Fortunately I can walk to work.  Also fortunately,
I have the connectors and a molex crimper so installing it shouldn't be
that difficult and I won't have to splice wires.

Any suggestions about what I should be looking out for come Tuesday?