[T3] Fixed - Rocks in a time can sound

Gregory N. Cox gregorycox1 at me.com
Wed Jun 1 17:49:18 PDT 2011

First of all, thanks to everyone who chimed in with a solution. In particular, thanks go out to Denis S., Jim A. and Jimmy L. with their assessment of a rogue bolt in the case coming loose behind the fan. That was it!. After a nice 10 hour experience (novice here) I and my trusty pal Floyd got it fixed.

I really appreciate the help you guys provide to the Type 3 community.

Greg

> [...]
> Office: (256) 513-9462
> Mobile: (256) 679-1250
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 08:29:29 -0700
> From: Mike Fisher <fisherfarms at gmail.com>
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] Rocks in a tin can sound
>
> Rocker arm fell off the push rod and is rattling?
>
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Gregory N. Cox <gregorycox1 at me.com> wrote:
>> I was driving my '73 Sqbk yesterday and in a turn lane waiting on a light. Engaged clutch, shifted into first and as the engine revved, a sound like rocks being shaken in a tin can started. I pulled off immediately and shut down the engine. After removing the hatch for a look, I then restated the engine. At low rpm, no sound. Upon an increase, the loud rattle states.
>>
>> Any idea where to start first?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> CEO and Principal
>>
>> Gregory Cox & Associates LLC
>> NETWORK DESIGN, STRUCTURED IP CABLING, VIDEO SURVEILLANCE, ACCESS CONTROL
>> & RELATED TECHNOLOGY CONSULTING
>> 211 Shamrock Drive
>> Madison, AL 35758
>>
>> Email: greg at gregorycoxandassociates.com
>> Web: http://www.linkedin.com/in/gregorycoxandassociates
>> Office: (256) 513-9462
>> Mobile: (256) 679-1250
>>

> --
> http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mr_bojangles500/
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 09:03:40 -0700
> From: "C. Rochambeau" <crochambeau at gmail.com>
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] Rocks in a tin can sound
>
> Loose cooling tin?
> Loose exhaust connectors?
>
> I've also had a spot weld let go at the heat shield atop the muffler, which
> will rattle like hell if you let it.
>
> I'd start by rapping on all the parts of the engine when cold to hear if you
> can isolate an external source before going inside the engine.

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Mike Fisher <fisherfarms at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Rocker arm fell off the push rod and is rattling?
>>
>> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Gregory N. Cox <gregorycox1 at me.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I was driving my '73 Sqbk yesterday and in a turn lane waiting on a
>> light. Engaged clutch, shifted into first and as the engine revved, a sound
>> like rocks being shaken in a tin can started. I pulled off immediately and
>> shut down the engine. After removing the hatch for a look, I then restated
>> the engine. At low rpm, no sound. Upon an increase, the loud rattle states.
>>>
>>> Any idea where to start first?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Greg
>>>
>>> CEO and Principal
>>>
>>> Gregory Cox & Associates LLC
>>> NETWORK DESIGN, STRUCTURED IP CABLING, VIDEO SURVEILLANCE, ACCESS CONTROL

>>> Mobile: (256) 679-1250