[T3] FW: Progress Thanks to P.A.

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 18:28:45 PDT 2011

Think of the idiot light circuits like this (they are all the same idea):-

+12V (on black wire on gauge cluster with ignition on)----->(idiot
light)--->(oil pressure light)--->ground.

There's no earthing fault on the gauge cluster that will make these lights
flash.  The only common point in the wiring is the +12V, which I assume is
being pulsed somehow by an incorrect wiring of the flasher relay.

Your flasher unit is operating when the ignition is on, rather than when you
turn the flasher lever.  The hazard switch is just that - a switch that
makes both sides of the flashers come on together.  It also connects the
battery direct to the flasher unit for when the ignition is off and the
switch is pulled out.

You DO NOT HAVE a steady +12V on that black lead - it is somehow being
pulsed by your flasher relay.

The indicator circuit is:-

+12V(15->hazard switch->49+)--->(49+ ->flasher relay->49a)---->(indicator
switch)----->(flasher bulbs selected by indicator switch)--->ground.

That's a bit simplified as there is also pin 49b on the flasher relay that
puts 12V on the flasher idiot lamps in between the pulses to the flasher
lamps.  The 12V on the black wire feeds the idiot lights then grounds
through the flasher bulbs.

It's hard to make it clear from this distance, but if the indicator switch
has given trouble, it may be behind the problem.

It's certain that without the black wire having a steady +12V on it, it will
pulse the idiot lights.  You need to find out why it doesn't have a steady
12V.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club