[T3] How hot is hot?

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Sun Jun 19 10:34:35 PDT 2011

One thing to keep in mind is the different engine bay air circulation
between Bugs and Type 3s.  In the Bug, any radiated heat form the engine
heats the engine bay air, of course.  This air is sucked into the fan and
used to cool the engine, and exits under the car to the rear.

On a Type 3, the engine bay air is NOT drawn out of the engine bay by the
fan, so that ambient air, and the tinware you can touch, will always be
hotter than in a Bug.  Also, you have that close-by, foil reflective pad
sending heat right back at the block and tin.

So all else equal, even with identical internal engine temperatures, the
Type 3 bay will feel hotter, smell hotter, and radiate more heat into your
face and hands as you stand directly over it.

This is also one reason the Type 3 had a reputation for overheating, even
though they had the best fan, and the reversed cooling slots did NOT add to
cooling loads.

It FELT hot so people thought it was overheating.  But it wasn't any hotter
than their old Bug.

-Phil
> From: "J. Jonik" <j_jonik at yahoo.com>
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Subject: [T3] Re/ Runs Great...but very hot...
>
>? Having had such cars since the late 70s, taking them to Mexico and on
8000 mile zig zag cross country trips a bunch of > times (with good and bad
results), I sort of know what "hot" is.?? When it's almost too hot to touch
metal near the
> engine area? before taking the lid off....I worry....especially if it's
only after about 10 miles in only upper 70