[T3] A new T-34 owner? (seat belts)

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Mon Jun 27 15:55:42 PDT 2011

==
Euro cars came with shoulder-only belts until the late '60s at least.  My
brother's '67 Euro bug had them.  Dangerous things, they just made you
submarine.  So Euro cars were modified, sometimes "creatively" by
grey-market dealers and others, usually by drilling the floorpan and using a
fat washer sealed with tar, then adding seat belts, or more rarely, 3-point
belts. Some time back I saw a VW Bulletin describing their recommended
method of adding the lower/outer mounting point.

I think '65 was the year seat belts were required in the US, but I'm not
sure of that, either.

-Phil
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 23:59:18 -0500
From: "Jim Adney" <jadney at vwtype3.org>

I'm confused. The Ghia had inner anchor points and outer upper anchor
points, but no outer lower points? And shoulder only belts? That's
bizarre! This is a '67, right? I'm astonsihed that VW didn't have all
3 points in all their cars by now. If it didn't have the outer upper,
that might not be too surprising, but no outer lower...?

The US required lap belts starting in '64. Now I'm wondering if the
requirement might have been loosely written so that any kind of belt
would have sufficed. I know these cars weren't sold in the US, but I
think even my '62 beetle had all 3 (or at least the lower 2) mount
points.

The mount points that were there, were they the later 7/16" thread
size, or the early ~1" size?

How about some of you out there with '67 fastys and squares; what did
they have for mount points? I know '67 beetles had all 3.