[T3] Old Type IIIs (Exhaust Tester

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Mar 6 12:44:08 PST 2011

On 6 Mar 2011 at 13:46, Keith Park wrote:

> Because the T4 never got to the 5 pin TVS's and has problems with
> transitions at 1200 and 1800 RPM as our C and D systems do that cant be
> tuned out in my application, I need that latter E system that doesn't have
> those problems, besides... its not the brain that's calibrated it's the
> pressure sensor (for the most part) and using the 2L injectors already takes
> care of a lot of that.

If you count 914s as a variety of Type 4, didn't the late ones get 5
pin TVSs? Besides, you want a 2L system, not a 1.6 or 1.7L system.

I seriously doubt that it's reasonable to argue that there's not much
calibration that takes place in the brain. If that were true, Bosch
could have made many fewer versions of the brains.

I'm aware of a problem some of our cars have in 4th gear at 25-30
mi/hr, is that one of the transition problems you're thinking about?
I'm not aware of another one, but I may just not be as aware as some
of the rest of you.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org