[T3] Intermittent Cut out

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Mar 21 14:23:33 PDT 2011

In a message dated 3/21/2011 4:05:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
csheridan at virtual-consulting.net writes:

While I  was at it, I reinstalled the line from the fuel rail to the port
under the  right side of the intake air distributor, which 12 years ago when
I bought  the car from Dave Viselli, he told me to leave it
unconnected/plugged up,  because when it was connected it would flood the
motor.

I figured it  was just superstition and hooked it all back up. First think I
noticed was  that it ran smoother, not as choppy as usual. I let it run for
5
minutes  when it suddenly cut out without warning. I ignored that and tried
driving  it to work today and halfway up a long 2000 foot climb it  started
sputtering and stalling out. This is a climb I make every morning  with no
issues. I persisted, but immediately felt signs of the engine  cutting out
and wanting to die, not at idle as usual, but under load. I  pulled over and
disconnected the line and plugged it back up and and the  rest of the trip
was uneventful.

I know that the Intake Air  distributor has been replaced since I got the
car, so I'm guessing the  issue is either with the bad component under the
IAD, or the brain itself  (As Dave Implied back in 1999).  Any Thoughts  on
this?

Thanks,

Chris

70 auto  fastback

You basically hooked up the Cold Start valve. This valve should only inject
 fuel at start up, and then only below 40 degrees. Most of the time that
valve  leaks, and dumps fuel when warmed up causing a very rich condition. It
won't  hurt anything to be unplugged from the fuel line, and not used. In
fact 2 of my  cars don't have it connected (both fuel or electrically).

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)